If You Lose your Mobile Phone,
Got an interesting fact to share.. Nowadays each one of us carries Hi Fi Mobile devices and always fears that it may be stolen. Each mobile carries a unique IMEI i.e. International Mobile Identity Number which can be used to track your mobile anywhere in the world.
What to Do If You Lose your Mobile Phone ?
1. Dial *#06# from your mobile.
2. Your mobile shows a unique 15 digit.
3. Note down this no anywhere but except your mobile as this is the no which will help trace your mobile in case of a theft.
4. Once stolen you just have to mail this 15 digit IMEI no. to cop[@]vsnl.net
5. No need to go to police.
6. Your Mobile will be traced within next 24 hrs via a complex system of GPRS and internet.
7. You will find where your hand set is being operated even in case your no is being changed. PASS ON THIS VERY IMP MESSAGE TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND RELATIVES.
If You Loose your Mobile Phone, send an e-mail to cop[@]vsnl.net With the following info.
- Your name:
- Phone model:
- Last used No.:
- E-mail for communication:
- Date when you lost:
- IMEI No.:
Keep all these information stored for emergency use.
The message comes with an email id and claims that people who have lost their mobile phones can email their complaint. Along with the IMEI number, details mentioned above are to be sent to trace and track your mobile from anywhere in the world. The story is a mixture of hoax and facts however.
The email id cop[@]vsnl.net provided in the message is that of the Commissioner Office of Chennai. It is a fact that if you send an email from anywhere in India or around the world, it will reach the Commissioner of Police, Chennai City Police, Tamil Nadu. Also, the Chennai Police have solved such cases of mobile phones theft using the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) numbers, as mentioned in the message. But, there is no guarantee that mobile thefts from all over the country will be handled by them. This service will most definitely be applicable only for particular state of Tamil Nadu, and not anything beyond their range.
Therefore, this message is misleading when it claims that everyone can trace and track back their lost mobile phones using this service. It is also important to note that the official website of Tamil Nadu is not active, since it was hacked earlier this year, and the email service also seems not to be working.
Whenever you lose your mobile phone, the best approach is to visit the nearest police station directly, give a complain, and then follow the procedure advised by them.
Hoax or Fact:
Mixture of hoax and facts.