Warning: Disturbing content in this article. Viewer discretion advised.
Man Caught on Fire in Dubai Mall After his Phone Connected to Power Bank Exploded in his Pocket.
1. At the Dubai Mall
Burned by a mobile explosion in his pocket
2. Mobile incident in Dubai mall, man caught fire, terrible incident, battery burst – Dubai Video
3. Couple of Days ago a young guy was charging his cell phone with a power band charger and he was continuously using his cell phone then suddenly his cell phone explode and fire burn all over his body.
A disturbing video shared online purports to show a Man Caught on Fire in Dubai Mall after his Phone Exploded in Pocket. The accident allegedly happened when the man was charging his cell phone with a power bank charger and was continuously using his cell phone. Unfortunately, the fire incident seen in the video is real, but as told it did not happen due to Phone explosion in Dubai.
Not Man Caught on Fire in Dubai Mall
The video shows a man’s T-shirt and jeans caught up in flames suddenly. The mall visitors and staff frantically search for fire extinguisher to douse the flames. The incident is linked to mobile phone explosion while charging with a power bank. So the story and the video went viral soon. However, the fire incident did not happen in Dubai – it occurred in the City of Agadir in Morocco on 3rd June 2018.
As reported by Gulf News website gulfnews.com, Dubai Police and the Civil Defence clarified the fire incident shown in the video did not happen in any mall of Dubai. Some local reports in Morocco suggested the 30-year-old man in the video set himself on fire at the main entrance of the supermarket Marjane (in Agadir). The man has a criminal record and was caught in the act of shoplifting earlier in the morning, before he was forced to pay. Allegedly, he returned later in the afternoon equipped with a flammable product and set himself on fire.
#تنويه | نفت القيادة العامة لـ #شرطة_دبي ما يتم تداوله من مقطع فيديو لشخص يحترق في #دبي_مول.
وتدعو أفراد المجتمع عدم نشر الإشاعات تجنباً للمساءلة القانونية.
نتمنى لكم أوقاتاً سعيدة وآمنة. #أمنكم_سعادتنا
— Dubai Policeشرطة دبي (@DubaiPoliceHQ) June 5, 2018
As a matter of fact, you can observe the man on fire is not showing any kind of shock or strong resistance. At the beginning you can see the Supermarket Staff around the man. Later, you can also see the inflammable material on floor (on fire). After the unfortunate incident, authorities shifted the man with second- and third-degree burns to Hassan II Hospital in Agadir.
So, in any case, the claim that the Man caught on Fire in Dubai Mall after his Phone charging with Power bank exploded in his Pocket is certainly a hoax. After the false story spread wide on social media, Dubai Police urged the public not to believe or circulate unverified information. One higher official also warned those found guilty of spreading rumors and fake news may be jailed for up to three years and fined Dh250,000.
Update: 19th November 2019
The same video is in circulation again on WhatsApp, Facebook and other online platforms with other false claims. They say explosion of the man’s mobile phone took place while charging inside Kannur International Airport.
An explosion of the mobile phone while charging inside Kannur International Airport. Let’s share the video to raise the awareness
Someone at Kannur Airport charged his mobile phone thru his power bank keeping in his pocket
Hoax or Fact: